Am I a Candidate?
If you are Morbidly Obese and have struggled many years to loose weight, or have lost weight in the past only to have it come back over and over, then you are not alone. Upwards to 95 percent of all people weighing more than 100 pounds over their ideal body weight, who have been morbidly obese for more than five years will be unsuccessful at losing weight and maintaining that weight loss for the next five years.
Simply put, Weight Reduction Diets, Exercise, Medication, and Therapy have proven to be ineffective in achieving long term weight loss for the Morbidly Obese patient.
So, why choose surgery?
After a comprehensive 10 year study, the National Institute of Health determined that, for the morbidly obese individual, the most effective method of long term weight reduction and weight maintenance is Surgery.
All studies have shown that long term maintainence with surgery exceed 80% while conservative managment only 5%.
So, Am I eligible for surgery?
In order to qualify for surgery, you must meet the following criteria:
- Between the ages of 18-64 for Gastric Bypass, Gastric Banding, and Duodenal Switch and 18-68 for the Sleeve Gastrectomy.
- Have a BMI (Body Mass Index) greater than or equal to 40; or greater than or equal to 35 with serious health problems or conditions.
- And have tried to lose weight following diet programs and been unsuccessful at either weight loss or maintaining weight loss.
- Have been at this level of obesity for at least two years.
Please refer to the Body Mass Index Calculator in the sidebar to compute your BMI
According to the Panel on Energy, Obesity, and Body Weight Standards published by American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, your category is:
- Healthy BMI: 18.5 to 24.9
- Overweight: 25 to 29.9
- Obese: 30 to 39.9
- Extremely Obese: Greater than 40
If you meet the above criteria, then Yes… Surgery may be the best option for you. If you wish to learn more about our program, we encourage you to attend one of our Free Informational Seminars hosted by Dr. Jawad or Dr. Teixeira , or click the Contact Us link and one of our staff will be in touch with you shortly.