Orbera Intragastric Balloon System
What is Obera
- Comprehensive two-part program designed to provide effective, motivating results that you can see. With Orbera patients on average lose 3.1 times the weight they would with diet and exercise alone.
- Starts with a soft balloon placed in your stomach for six months to reinforce proper portion control.
- The Orbera balloon take up space in your stomach helps you eat smaller meals.
- Balloon is temporary and placed in your stomach for six months without surgery or any incisions.
- Patients will receive coaching from a team of experts, which may include a dietician, psychologist, and exercise physiologist.
- Coaching continues after balloon is removed at six months for a total of 12 months.
The Procedure: Placement and removal
- Non-surgical procedure done under a mild sedative, the thin and deflated Orbera balloon is placed into the stomach. It is then filled with saline until it’s about the size of a grapefruit. The procedure typically takes about 20-30 minutes so you can go home the very same day.
- At six months, the balloon is removed in the same way it was placed. Through a non-surgical procedure done under a mild sedative, it is deflated first then removed.
What to Expect
- the weight loss is rapid with the majority of weight loss typically occurring in the first three months of treatment.
- On average patients lost 3.1 times the weight loss of diet and exercise alone.
- The adjustments to your eating habits and your continued efforts to stay active will greatly influence your results.
To Qualify For Orbera, you should:
- Be an adult
- Have a body mass index of 30 to 40
- Be willing to participate in a medically supervised program.
- After six months with the Orbera two-part program, people lost an average 3.1 x the weight patients lost with diet and exercise alone.
- Proven to keep the weight off even after the balloon is removed.
- A more than 20 year history of helping thousands of people lose weight.
- More than 220,000 Orbera balloons have been distributed worldwide in over 80 countries.
- With the FDA approval of Orbera, patients now have a safe and effective treatment option.
1. Directions for Use (DFU). ORBERA Intragastric Ballon System (ORBERA). Austin, TX: Apollo Endosurgery, Inc.